IGREJA DE NOSSA SENHORA DA MISERICÓRDIA
Originally constructed in 1630 as a hospital, the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia was subsequently burnt down by the Dutch colonists in 1631. Following the expulsion of the Dutch in 1654, reconstruction commenced in 1655 and lasted a number of years. This church was used for hearings during the Inquisition period in Brazil, which resulted in a number of non-believers being extradited to Portugal for trial and sentencing, often resulting in being burned alive at the stake. The Foundation commissioned a Master Plan for the reconstruction of the roof, suffering badly from termite attack and the restoration of the church, which was badly damaged by water ingress. The Foundation received approval of IPHAN in March 2009 and work began. In February 2011 the Foundation received a grant from the Brazilian National Bank (BNDES) for the restoration of the roof.